In this Episode:
In this episode of Back Porch Chats, Vince and Jeanna talk to Steve Bisson about managing trauma and addiction with therapy and getting help from sober communities.
Steve Bisson has worked in the mental health/addiction field since 1999 as a therapist, coach, author, and podcaster. He has owned his private practice, Straight to the Point Therapy, since 2011. Trained in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Steve has worked in diverse fields, including community outpatient services, the criminal justice field, a mental health crisis team, as well as a trainer for first responders and correctional staff on mental health and substance abuse. EMDR trained, he has processed trauma and bereavement issues throughout his career. He has been practicing telehealth therapy since 2015.
- Therapy as an addition to recovery communities.
- Why people use drugs and alcohol to deal with trauma.
- How substance abuse users use cognitive Distortions for protection.
- Why not thinking about drinking never works.
- Group dynamics create limitations in recovery.
- Marijuana maintenance to avoid more dangerous drugs.
To contact Steve or learn more about his podcast, Finding Your Way Through Therapy, go to: